Tuesday, December 9, 2008

2nd week of Advent

I've decided to put my computer time and blogging at the end of the day for a while. I have to say my days are definitely running more smoothly and definitely more productive. With that being said, my posts may be a little more sporadic. We'll see what God's plan is. Here are some things that we've been working on this past week. God Bless!

We are all enjoying working on our Jesse Tree (Jesus' family tree)

My hubby pointed out we should be starting from the bottom instead of the top, then The House Cat, noticed the weeks would be out of order(the pink strip needed to be moved up one). Beside from the fact that it's crooked on the wall, I think we've got the rest of it straight now:)

I bought purple folders for everyone to keep their work in for Advent. I also did this for November. It seems to help to keep all of the months activities in each child's own folder. I may continue this into next year and see if I feel a little more organized with it :)

I started Hooked on Phonics with Buck,5, and Honeybee,3 1/2, this week. I had been using "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading but was having a little trouble keeping them interested. It was probably because I never got around to purchasing the magnetic board and extra letter magnets you need :(

We were so blessed to be GIVEN the complete set. God is so good! Anyway, they are off to a terrific start with it and asking to do more. I really like how the lessons are laid out, with a book to read after a couple of pages in the lesson book. They LOVE putting the stickers on the chart as they read the books. Buck was so excited yesterday to read his own book. He jump around saying, "I can read, I can read!"

The House Cat,12, is really coming along with her guitar playing. We are working on Christmas songs now to be played at our home school Christmas play and also at Children's Hospital. We try to sing/play carols each year for those who are not able to be at home with family. This will be our first year at the children's hospital. Previously, we've played at nursing homes.

Snuggle Bug and Buck have also picked up the guitar and learned a few chords this week. Honeybee's upset she doesn't have a "pink" guitar to play. We'll have to see what we can do about that!

Snuggle Bug's still progressing nicely on the piano. We'll carry the electric keyboard along for her to play while we carol.

St. Nicholas Slippers







After morning prayers we enjoyed watching
this wonderful video.

Buck remembered that daddy had a special rosary with Our Lady of Guadalupe's image inside the cross. He ran and got it to share. Honeybee was sooooo cute trying to squint and look inside.

Saint Juan Diego Pray For Us

1 comment:

Jiggy said...

What a great post! I'm so proud of you and all you do here. You are making a difference in this world. Thanks for the love you show our children. Much Love - me

Praying the Rosary keeps us close to Jesus