The House Cat's painting instructor asked her to design an inner self portrait. This is what she came up with.
- The guitar symbolizes her love of music and her gift of playing guitar well. (I added the second part :)
- The Celtic cross represents her Irish heritage and Catholic faith. The six strings are for the six members of our family. Their colors are based on the meaning of each person's name.
- She chose black for the guitar since she is devoted to praying for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. In the background the two Divine Mercy rays represent her love for Saint Faustina and the message of Divine Mercy.
- The light at the top is for St. Luke, the patron of painters, whose name means "bringer of light."
- To the right of the light are three books representing a love for being home schooled, learning in general, and writing.
- The seven tear drops show her love for Our Blessed Mother and a love for our parish, Our Lady of Sorrows. They also represent her eagerness to receive the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit at Confirmation next spring.
Needless to say, her dad and I were blown away by all of the symbolism! Thank you Lord for such a beautiful gift in her and all our children!