With all that being said, we are starting a new chapter in our lives, one that actually began back in December when we gave this unschooling thing a try. I can't tell you how often HC & SB have thanked me for this. You may think, "Of course they are since you've taken the book work away from them!" But, I must argue that after a time of depressurizing they have found plenty to keep themselves busy. Busy with God- given gifts, with plenty of time to hear God's still small voice leading them towards Him.
So here's a peek into what July 2012 looked like around here.
The House Cat ~
- Has been devouring Outlining Your Novel by K.M. Weiland and has been following her steps in working on her novel.
- She was asked to sing for another wedding at our parish. They kindly paid her a stipend with which she bought a Graphic Design Software package. She is working on publishing an online magazine for high-schooled homeschoolers. This will be by invitation only so let me know if you'd like to be invited.
- She continues to cantor, play guitar and piano, and write music with her sister.
- We visited her grandparents and learned to play Canasta with her grandmother. We've played several times, with her and SB taking turns with the scoring.
- Had several game days with SB & friends. Games played include Scrabble, Pictionary, Rummikub, Cranium, 10 Days in the USA, and Story Cubes.
- Books read ~ Tangled Skein (Bethelhem e-book), Beorn the Proud, Jedi Apprentice
- Sister Servants meeting. St. Maria Goretti.
- Helping to deliver Meals on Wheels
- Helping to make fruit preserves with the ladies Altar Sodality. These will be sold at our church's Oktoberfest fund raiser.
- Plenty of home economics including but not limited to cooking, cleaning, and caring for her younger siblings. (no this doesn't include you SB:)
Snuggle Bug ~
- Helped to pick apples, pears and blueberries. Made lots of Blueberry Cobbler for her daddy.
- Also learning to make fruit perserves for the church's fund raiser.
- Finished reading Life of Fred Apples book to Buck and Honeybee.
- Planned and led her Sister Servants of the Domestic Church meeting. This month's saint was St. Maria Goretti. She has about 12 girls in her group now and they have such fun when they meet. We've found a great spot for her group and my Mom's Little Way group to meet now. God is so good!
- She has really taken off with her guitar playing and is starting to teach Buck. She also teaches me when I slow down for a moment and pick up my guitar.
- She is our go to girl always happy to play with Buck and Honeybee and fetch this or that for her mom and dad :)
- She is also working hard on her writing and plans to have an ongoing chapter book in HC's magazine.
- Of course, she and HC are best friends. I am so thankful they are so close! They enjoy sharing a room, listening to movie soundtrack music and both journal about their days before bed.
- Continues to constantly build with Legos. He picked out The Lego Idea Book from the library. I encourage him to make a pic of all of his creations and try to post the pictures on his blog.
- Watched a PBS special on repairing The Hubble Telescope and built a cardboard model of the Hubble.
- Reading books on Army Rangers, Green Berets, military
- Learning to play Rummy and keep score
- Computer games Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Jump Start 1st, 2nd, 4th grades, Artist. Reader Rabbit 2nd grade.
- Games - Checkers, Connect Four, Ciphers and Codes, Scrabble
- Life of Fred Apples
- Blue Knights meeting with his dad on the power of the Rosary.
- The Magic School Bus - The Solar System
- Leap Pad games, The Human Body, 2nd grade, 4th grade
- Altar Serving at Mass, reading along with the Mass prayers
- IXL math
- Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade
- Playing House with her Bitty Baby, Amy
- Learning to play Rummy
- Solitaire, Spider Solitarie, Checkers, Connect Four, Scrabble
- Reading along with Mass prayers, Altar Serving
- Helping with the fruit preserves for church.
- Leap Pad, The Human Body, Hit it Maestro, 2nd Grade
- Playing librarian, school teacher
- Irregular Plural Nouns Matching Card game with Buck
- Singing, singing, and more singing
- Finished Life of Fred Apples with SB and Buck
- Helping deliver Meals on Wheels
And these are the things that made it onto paper... I am truly staying Busy With my Blessings!